Adding a deck to your home is an exciting prospect. A deck provides a space to relax and enjoy the outdoors and to entertain friends and family. Unless you’re building your own deck, the first step in the process will be hiring a builder. Here are some key things to consider when hiring a deck contractor.
Decide What You Want – Questions to Ask Yourself
Before you call a contractor, you first need to decide what you want in a deck.
- What size and shape deck do you want?
- Where would you like it to be placed with respect to your home and yard?
- Do you have a preference for what type of material your deck is built of?
- Are there any specific design features you want like levels, built-in seating, lighting, gas line for BBQ, privacy screens, fire pit and so on?
The more specific you can be, the more accurate your quote will be.
Understanding the Process – Questions to Ask Your Contractor
Of course, if you’re not sure about some of these things, Outdoor Solutions will take the time to answer your questions and make sure you know about all of your options. In addition to these details here are some important questions to ask your contractor when planning your deck project:
- Are you licensed and insured?
- How is the permit process handled?
- What are the different types of materials available to use in building my deck?
- What warranties are available for materials and workmanship?
- Can I see examples of your previous work?
- How much will it cost, and what is the payment structure? (Always get a written estimate for your deck project!)
Talking through these questions with your contractor will ensure that you understand what to expect during the building process.
Sign the Contract and Let the Building Begin!
Once you have all your questions answered, you will sign a written contract (having things in writing will prevent any confusion later on). A few things that should always be included in your contract are:
- The total price, including materials and work
- What work is being done
- A copy of the contractor’s license and insurance
Once you sign on the dotted line, your deck project can be scheduled. Before you know it, you’ll be sipping a cool drink with friends and family on your new deck!
Adding a deck to your home is a big investment, so it’s important to understand your options and what the building process will look like. Here at Outdoor Solutions, we’re always happy to answer any questions you have. Take a look at our deck gallery for inspiration, and give us a call when you’re ready to talk about building!